Saturday, September 15, 2007

Show some love to "Much Love"

Along my expedition to dig up various artists, crafters etc. I came upon this fun jewelry maker whose line goes by the name of "Much Love" To me it seems that she named her line after all the love she puts into each fun piece. But you will just have to read for yourself and possibly go own one of her handmade vintage jewels!!!!




Bio










Name(any nicknames): Anna (no nicknames)

The place you call home: I have had many homes. I lived in the UK, Indonesia, and now Australia… but most of my life growing up was spent in my hometown Yogyakarta, Indonesia… My province is actually called DIY. So I’m literally a DIY girl! :)

Most used art/craft supply: a lot of ring bases and buttons

Any hobbies besides jewelry making: Web/graphic design

One of your favorite ways to relax: Watching a Gilmore Girls DVD, with subtitles in a random foreign language

The time of the year you enjoy the most: I don’t have a specific favorite time, I like the type of nice days that just surprise you out of nowhere!

Interview

1. How did you begin creating your rings and necklaces etc? When did you decide to finally start selling them?
Before, I just started by making jewelry for myself. Then at the beginning of this year, I started making a lot of rings, and decided to sell them through Meet Me at Mike’s, an indie shop in Melbourne. It was really scary gathering up the courage to approach them in the first place! So I was delighted when they agreed to stock them. Not too long afterwards, I started making and selling cupcake necklaces through them too. Then a few months after, I opened up my Etsy shop.












2. Why the name "Much love" is it because much love is put into each and every single design?
Yes! I pour in a lot of love into each and every piece. And actually, the first “Much Love” rings collection featured a lot of heart shapes, so I thought the name suited it perfectly at the time, and it’s just carried on until now.



3. I noticed your pieces contain several elements and layers. What might go into say a pair of your earrings? What objects and materials do you work with the most?
I try to make my pieces quite simple. A pair of earrings would just consist of the studs and the chosen material, either a pair of cameos or buttons. I sometimes layer 2 buttons for my rings – one layer being the background, the other being the main feature (e.g. see the squirrel ring). Having layers allows me to experiment with different combinations.
For my rings and earrings, I work with a lot of vintage and new buttons, cameos, beads, and plastic flat backs. I also enjoy working with polymer clay, which results in my cupcake necklaces… and sometimes I make them for rings too.




4. Do you have a favorite place where you like to pick up all your supplies and materials that you use to make your jewelry?
There’s not really a single favorite place, I like to explore a variety of shops, markets, and online stores. I like the excitement of finding something new in different places.

5. What draws you to the whole vintage appeal?
I love the charms and uniqueness of vintage items, as it’s not something mass-produced that everyone can have or wear.




6. Besides ETSY are there any other places/or ways people can find and purchase your jewelry?
Madeit.com.au, Meet Me at Mike’s in Melbourne, or just by sending me a message or comment on myspace!
I’m currently looking for other shops to stock my stuff, whether it may be an online or physical shop


7. Being the designer herself who puts out these fun pieces, how many do you own? Are you constantly wearing what you make? Any compliments in stores and what have you?
Oh, absolutely!! I have so many pieces that I wear and keep for myself. A general rule is that I don’t want to make a jewelry piece that I would not wear myself. I do get occasional compliments from my friends, who sometimes also become a Much Love customer.




8. Is this what you love to do the most?? Is being a jewelry designer in your future? What would be your main goal for "Much Love?"
I definitely LOVE what I’m doing. I would like to keep building the business, and make Much Love become more widely recognized by people. I dream of the day I see someone on the streets wearing a Much Love jewelry!
I’d like to think I’ll continue to be a jewelry designer for many years to come, even though it may not be my main career, it’s more like a profitable hobby :)
Maybe you would enjoy wearing one of Anna's one of a kind vintage inspired pieces???
You can find her...............................here.........Much Love Myspace page ...............and here......... Much Love Etsy shop ............................as well as at..............Much Love Made it page !!!!

No comments: