Its Fathers day and I am currently sitting in my parents den, waiting for the rest of my family to get here so we can BBQ and celebrate the day!
This weekend I went out to the east end of Long Island to visit some friends and go to the Strawberry Festival(more on that in the next post) Before I headed on out to the east end I packed my bags as I usually do, but this time I had something extra special to pack and deliver. I had a scrap book that I had been working on for Cecilia, my friend's daughter who lost her father last year. She just turned 3 this past December and this would be her first Father's day without him. The book took me awhile to work on because I lose my mojo once in awhile and it takes about a month or so to get it back, plus I found it difficult to put together layouts for someone else, I did not know all the stories behind the pictures aside for a couple that were obvious or ones that I took myself and was there to see.
I have really been out of the scrapping loop, just have not felt the need or desire. Sometimes I wonder, "why do I even bother?" Well after handing that book over to my friend, and watching her and her mother look through it and then just last night watching Cecilia and her grandpa look through it, I remembered. I started out loving this hobby for the creative aspect and then over time while looking through my books, I started to love it because it helped me preserve so many stories, so many memories. The way Cecilia sat on her grandma's lap and in excitement yelled "Daddy, daddy and me!!!" really tugged at my heart strings. I am being so sappy here, but I think I have found a whole new respect for the hobby I fell in love with 3 years ago, the hobby I have made so many friends through and the hobby that helped me piece together memories for a little girl who lost her father. I may not be in the scrap booking spirit these days, but when I am ready to pick up a piece of paper and a picture, I will remember just what it may mean to someone someday when they get that layout in their hands and are able to see and read something about me.
Maybe that June Studio Calico kit sitting on my desk will get me out of this funk:)
This weekend I went out to the east end of Long Island to visit some friends and go to the Strawberry Festival(more on that in the next post) Before I headed on out to the east end I packed my bags as I usually do, but this time I had something extra special to pack and deliver. I had a scrap book that I had been working on for Cecilia, my friend's daughter who lost her father last year. She just turned 3 this past December and this would be her first Father's day without him. The book took me awhile to work on because I lose my mojo once in awhile and it takes about a month or so to get it back, plus I found it difficult to put together layouts for someone else, I did not know all the stories behind the pictures aside for a couple that were obvious or ones that I took myself and was there to see.
I have really been out of the scrapping loop, just have not felt the need or desire. Sometimes I wonder, "why do I even bother?" Well after handing that book over to my friend, and watching her and her mother look through it and then just last night watching Cecilia and her grandpa look through it, I remembered. I started out loving this hobby for the creative aspect and then over time while looking through my books, I started to love it because it helped me preserve so many stories, so many memories. The way Cecilia sat on her grandma's lap and in excitement yelled "Daddy, daddy and me!!!" really tugged at my heart strings. I am being so sappy here, but I think I have found a whole new respect for the hobby I fell in love with 3 years ago, the hobby I have made so many friends through and the hobby that helped me piece together memories for a little girl who lost her father. I may not be in the scrap booking spirit these days, but when I am ready to pick up a piece of paper and a picture, I will remember just what it may mean to someone someday when they get that layout in their hands and are able to see and read something about me.
Maybe that June Studio Calico kit sitting on my desk will get me out of this funk:)
4 comments:
ohmygoodness, patty - so true. what an amazing gift you have given to this little girl and her mom. it's probably so much huger than you even realize – you are such an awesome friend to help them have a special place to keep their memories.
That layout is wonderful!!! I especially love that green doily paper! So pretty!
what a great gift!! that's so sweet Patty! I love it! Hope you had a nice Father's Day!
That is a truly awesome gift.
I think breaks from any hobby are good... I think they happen if we want them to or not anyways! Getting back to the very basics of why we started is the perfect idea. I'm trying to do the same!!
Post a Comment