
Being a New Yorker and never have gone to Coney Island was just so wrong of me, what was I thinking?? Growing up with a mom born and raised in Brooklyn, I always heard stories of Coney Island, back in its glory day when it was safer, cleaner, and the Parachute jump was still open. There was always the mention of how great the hot dogs were at Nathans, how the beer was so cheap, and the rides, oh the rides:) I finally made it there this past Labor Day weekend, and even though it was so muggy and hot out, we still had fun, sweat and all.

Me and Will ventured over to Coney Island to meet up with some friend's, when we got out of the subway we couldn't find them and after a quick call and no answer we decided to find somewhere to sit. A brief glance up at the skyline and there was a sign that said "Beer Island" and well it was calling us over to it. We eventually found our friends, and from there we went and rode the bumper cars, the Wonder Wheel and eventually The Cyclone. On the Wonder Wheel you can either choose the cab that swings or one that sits still, we of course went for some action!!!

(view from the Wonder Wheel)Our final stop was Nathans where we had some Coney Island fare, hot dogs and fries, and a few of their gigantic cups of beer(slightly watered down I must add).


After we ate we made one quick stop to the old photo booth where me and Will took some pictures, we tried to do a second round but the machine seemed to not be working. We walked away with a strip of 4, good enough.

I think the best part of the day was riding the Cyclone and then calling my mom to tell her what I had just done, she was so happy to hear that I took a ride on the same roller coaster that she used to ride when she was young, it was pretty cute. If you ever make it to Coney Island, be sure to ride the Cyclone at least once, you will be scared at first but you wont regret it. Its one of the oldest roller coasters in the States. Built in 1918 and opened in 1920, its pretty bumpy because it is a wooden roller coaster, but for those thrill seekers, its pretty well worth it.



Before we really headed on out, we hung out on the boardwalk and just chatted. A nice day to end the summer season,

I have alot more pictures I took of Coney Island over on my flickr. Feel free to go look:)
In about 3 more days, I will be flying on over to Chicago where I will be meeting up with and spending the weekend with Danielle, Vanessa, Mandi, and Jen(I will miss you Sandy!!!!!!) Its gonna be a great weekend, we will be heading over to the Chicago Renengade Fair
and then just hanging out the rest of the weekend.So I will be back probably when the weekend is over with some pictures of that trip.
Hope all is well with everyone!! Have a great rest of the week.
2 comments:
I AM LOVING ALL THE PHOTOS!!! AND I WISH I COULD SOOO GO TO CHICAGO AND HANG YOU WITH YOU GUYS! :D
B
Yea! pictures. So will go over to flickr and check out all your coney island goodness. Oh I am so glad you guys had fun. Isn't it too funny how one will live so close to things and not go:) And then when you do, so much fun!! I loved hearing about the connection with your mom's memories. And loved those photo booth shots of you and will:) Of course the pic of you on the cyclone:) too cool. felt like I went to coney island myself reading the post:)
Post a Comment